Saturday 17 December 2011

Winter warmth


I came up with this soup as a spin on one I used to make when I first learned to cook. It's full of white beans, celery and kale. To replace the meat, we added an Yves Italian veggie sausage (always a hit with the boy). The soup is equal parts hearty and savoury, plus I threw in a pinch of chili flakes for a little bit of heat. I've been really big on soups these days. There's something about throwing ingredients in a pot and letting them simmer while you occupy yourself with other things (cough, studying, cough). It's true... I'm still in my law school cocoon of exams, caffeine, and stress-induced tummy aches. But I'll be all done this Wednesday and then it's back to London for family time before heading to Toronto to catch up with friends, eat at my favourite veggie restaurants, and engage in some much needed retail therapy. Wednesday can't come soon enough!

White bean, kale & veggie sausage soup
Serves 4-6

2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 celery stalks, chopped
1/4 tsp chili flakes
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cans white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups veggie broth
4 cups water
1 bay leaf
1/2 bunch kale, chopped
2 veggie sausages, sliced crosswise
Salt to taste

Begin by heating the oil in a large pot. Throw in the onion, garlic, celery, chili flakes and pepper and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, if desired, sear the chopped veggie sausages in a small pan until golden brown. Add in the beans, broth, water, and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes before adding in the kale and the sausage. Simmer for another 15-20 minutes and enjoy on the couch with crusty bread and a holiday movie!



1 comment: