Thursday 6 September 2012

Easy coconut pancakes




So, um, hi. I still exist. I still cook. I'm still really bad at this blog upkeep thing. BUT it's September... a new school year, a fresh start, etc. etc. Who's to say how often I'll update the ol' Birdie, but I've had this recipe lurking around on my desktop for months and honestly it's just too darn tasty not to share! 

Now let's get real here; I’m not really a big pancake person. I'm not even really a brunch person. But when I do venture into the daunting world of vegan brunch, I often forego sweets and opt instead for a savoury menu item. However, I went out on a limb with this recipe and these homemade pancakes turned out wonderfully. There is actually no sugar in the batter because the shredded coconut adds just the right amount of sweetness (not to mention a nice hit of texture). Top them off with fresh berries and maple syrup and you’ve got yourself a brunch dish yummy enough to rival even its saltiest of counterparts. Really. So good.

Vegan coconut pancakes
Serves 2

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup shredded coconut
3 tbsp oil
Fresh blueberries
Pure maple syrup

In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Next, whisk in the milk, water, and coconut until smooth. Heat the oil (about 1 tsbp per batch of pancakes) over medium heat. Finally, ladle in the batter and cook pancakes until golden brown and slightly crispy (about 3 minutes per side). Serve with fresh berries and maple syrup and enjoy!

P.S. Look familiar? Here's why!

6 comments:

  1. ooooo... that looks very tempting and I am not even a pancake lover :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I want to eat such pancakes <3 It's my favourite breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Can you use whole wheat flour? These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks amazing! Looks very easy to make! Can't wait to try! http://veganamericanprincess.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog as i was looking for some vegan apps. I just love your blog! Your pictures are gorgeous and make your creations look devine!!! Cant wait to follow along and am able to try all of your great recipes.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for writing this blog. You mentioned not being sure about the blog up keep but please try and hang in there. This is a gold mine of goodness and its blogs like yours that have helped me and inspired me to leap over to vegan eating.

    Emma

    ReplyDelete