Thursday 2 February 2012

Lighten up

In the colder months, I usually crave warm, hearty, and rich meals. But, oddly enough, I've been on a bit of a salad kick lately. I know, I know, I'm only contributing to the widespread myth that we vegans only eat salad. And although that's clearly not true (exhibit A, exhibit B, you get the picture), I do love me a big old bowl o' veggies sometimes! I wanted to do a spin on a classic nicoise salad- minus the totally unnecessary, totally un-vegan items. So in lieu of the egg and the tuna, I added creamy white beans for protein, which contrast nicely with the sharpness of the onion (olives would work too but we don't really get along). The real stars of this humble little lunch though are the potatoes! While still warm, I tossed them in a lemon, dill, and dijon dressing, giving them tons of savoury flavour. So next time you're making this classic salad, consider foregoing the animal products for this pared down version which is much healthier and a whole lot kinder.

Vegan nicoise salad
Serves 2


For the salad:
1 cup small potatoes
2 cups shredded romain lettuce
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1 tomato, sliced
1/2 cup white beans

For the vinaigrette:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste

Begin by boiling the potatoes in salted water until fork tender. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients until well combined. Once potatoes are cooked, toss them in the vinaigrette. Once thoroughly coated, transfer potatoes into separate bowl to cool slightly, while preserving the remaining dressing. Toss the lettuce in what is left of the vinaigrette before splitting it evenly into your two serving bowls. Top the lettuce with the potatoes, onion, tomatoes, and beans and MUNCH!

4 comments:

  1. This sounds so wonderful! I loveeee dill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm lovely salad! Hearty enough to get us into Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dear! Glad to stumbled on you blog.. I really love it!
    This salad looks yummy and the photos through your posts are amazing!!!
    Already following you..
    See you around..
    xxxFiC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious!
    I wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Liebster award. :)
    - Stacey
    http://healthyhappyhippie.com/post/36998503332/liebster

    ReplyDelete