Monday 24 October 2011

Fried fiesta



When I discovered that this vegan queso dip existed, I got more than a little excited. After promptly ordering several jars of the stuff, there was nothing left to do but wait for its arrival. Clearly, the sauce made for some fabulous nachos but I wanted to think of a more creative way to enjoy it. Enter: vegan Mexican cheesy pierogies. Crazy, I know! But they turned out to be just as amazing as I had hoped. Crispy on the outside and ooey-gooey on the inside. Paired with fresh salsa, they made for quite the Saturday night feast!

If you aren't all as eager as I am to order vegan cheese dip off the internet (but really, is that weird?), then adding a pinch of cumin to this recipe would work well too. And I imagine throwing in some Daiya and non-dairy milk wouldn't be too shabby of an option either. Whatever you choose, these pierogies really are as good as they look. And come on, doesn't everyone love themselves a little fiesta?

"Cheesy" Mexican Pierogies with Homemade Salsa
Serves 4 

Pierogies:
20-30 eggless dumpling wrappers
3-4 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp Earth Balance vegan butter
1 onion, diced
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
3/4 cup vegan cheese sauce
Vegetable oil for frying, amounts may vary

Salsa:
1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
2 scallions, chopped
2 plum tomatoes, diced
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1 small clove garlic, minced
Zest and juice of 1/2 lime
1 tbsp of olive oil
Salt and pepper

Begin by boiling the potatoes in a large pot of salted water. Once fork tender, drain and mash, adding in the Earth Balance, salt and pepper. Meanwhile, saute the onions in 1 tbsp of veg oil over medium heat until soft and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Stir onions and 1/2 cup of the cheese sauce (reserving 1/4 cup for later) into the mashed potatoes and set aside.

While the potatoes are boiling and the onions are cooking, simply combine all of the salsa ingredients and refrigerate until time to eat.

Working in batches of 4-6, carefully add about 1/2 tsp of the cheesy potato mixture to the centre of each dumpling wrapper. Top with a dollop of the reserved cheese sauce and fold into half moons, sealing edges with a fork. The pierogies can be fried immediately, but I prefer to steam them first in order to soften them up. Steam for no longer than one minute per batch. In a large pan, heat about 1 tbsp of oil over medium and fry pierogies for about 3 minutes per side, until crispy and golden brown. Repeat until all of the pierogies have been cooked. Keep warm in a 200 degree oven until it's time to eat.

To serve, top the hot pierogies with salsa and garnish with a slice of lime. Sit back, relax and enjoy with a cold beer!

12 comments:

  1. This sounds so good! I'm curious to taste savory pierogies since I've always have sweet ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pierogies so much. This looks very, very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! The perfect snack food.

    Is vegan cheese sauce readily available in most health food store? I've never noticed it, although I wasn't really looking for it either. I'd like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so amazing.. my mouth is literally watering just looking at the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds great! Do you have a recipe for a vegan cheese sauce? And, I cannot find eggless wrappers. What brand do you buy? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't find eggless wrappers either, What brand do you buy and where???
    Thanks - these look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mike, thanks! Check the post for a couple of cheese sauce options :) As for the eggless wrappers, I wish I knew the brand name! I got them at an Asian grocery store in Toronto a while back and had froze the ones I didn't use. Sorry I can't be of more help :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I haven't found it in any stores which is why I ordered it online. Probably for the best or else I'd eat waaay too much of it! :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Gloria, thanks! Unfortunately, I can't remember the brand of the wrappers. I got them at an Asian grocery store though, so try looking there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohgoodness, Ohgoodness, Ohgoodness!! <---about to explode from desire for these! WOW. These sounds so great. And your blog is some serious fabulousness too, Robin! xo, Cara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Robin,

    When you find out the eggless wrapper brand, please do update us! And, your fantastic recipe has been choosen and we've created a guessing game with the ingredients. Congrats on being selected!! :)

    You can view the game here --> http://www.knapkins.com/guess_games/237?source=blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks amazing!!

    Take a look at my blog for everything photography!!!=]

    www.creativepassionstyle.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete