Tuesday 15 November 2011

Lazy fare



Some days I feel like preparing fresh dough, making homemade tomato sauce and scouring the freshest ingredients in order to make knock-out vegan pizzas. Lately though, amidst the mountains of readings, case comments, and legal memos, I've started to think that less is more. Less work in the kitchen that is! I'm not quite back to my undergrad days of Kraft Dinner, canned soup and peanut butter off a spoon (okay, fine, I still do that last one sometimes...), but being so busy has forced me to come up with quick and satisfying weeknight dinners. These vegan pita pizzas have become a staple around my house. I recommend using whole wheat pitas, broccoli, and chia seeds to up the nutritional factor on these bad boys!

Easy pita pizzas
Makes 2 

2 whole grain pitas
1/2 package of Daiya mozzarella
1/2 cup broccoli florets
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 tbsp of chia seeds
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp chili flakes
salt and pepper to taste

Place pitas on baking tray lined with aluminum foil and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread tomato sauce on the surface of both pitas, sprinkle on the oregano, chili flakes, salt and pepper before adding a generous layer of Daiya. Next, add the broccoli florets and chia seeds and bake for about 20 minutes or until crusts are golden brown and cheese is bubbly.

Aaannd then get back to studying!

6 comments:

  1. That looks yummy and so simple! I have yet to try chia seeds though. It took me a while to get onto the flax seed wagon, so...maybe a year from now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great for a quick meal! Healthy and tasty...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shot! (I like to make my version with Naan: http://patternoflife.wordpress.com/2011/07/06/how-to-grill-a-pizza/)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you. My schedule during the week doesn't allow for much cooking -- I usually save that for the weekends. I love quick ideas like this, so keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious! If I want a quick pizza I sometimes use a tortilla for "thin-crust" style. Pita looks even yummier though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi got to you via foodgawker! We are a new community driven food blog – we would love to see some posts by you! Check up out at feedintothefeed.com and consider submitting your work!

    ReplyDelete