Monday 31 October 2011

Guest Post: Vegan Discoveries

Lindsay with the hungry birdie in NYC last winter


Well hello little birdies! My name is Lindsay, and I am a ukulele playing vegan living in Toronto (we are a growing breed, I assure you). I am also the leader and organizer of Vegetarians In Their Twenties (VITT), a Toronto Vegetarian Association group (http://www.veg.ca/).

It is my pleasure to guest post on this inspiringly beautiful autumn day! With the cool crisp fall air, comes thick scarves, a plethora of pumpkins of every corner, and compelling conversations based on the age-old Halloween question “Is that person wearing a costume, or…?”  I am lucky to live in a neighbourhood in Toronto that feels more like a small town than a busy metropolis any day of the year. Most of our Sundays are spent exploring the countless little shops in our area, visiting the dog park with our pup and returning home only to throw some Simon and Garfunkle on the record player and tidy up.

Today, with the cool fall  Lake Ontario breeze brushing up against my cheeks, I found myself longing for a warm tea and vegan treats. Naturally, I stopped by one of the Beaches’ best kept vegan secrets that I feel compelled to share with all of you: D’Vine  Gelato Lounge and Coffee Bar (http://www.yelp.ca/biz/d-vine-gelato-lounge-and-coffee-bar-toronto). Though not everything is vegan here, they often serve up herbivore friendly soups, and offer a mouth watering array of delectable vegan sweets! Our favourite is the pea’not’ butter bars and Vegan/Gluten Free Cupcakes. There are few things more relaxing than enjoying an oversized green tea and mounds of vegan icing on a lazy fall Sunday afternoon.

I challenge all of you wonderful readers to get out and explore your neighbourhoods today. What kind of vegan treats can you find in otherwise unsuspecting areas? I don't know about you, but I always enjoy the thrill of finding something I can munch on in places I never thought I would be able to! I hope you all get a chance to steep some goodness, explore your neighbourhoods, and enjoy this seasonally perfect day! Until next time birdies… xo

1 comment:

  1. I wish there were some amazing Vegan restaurants where I live.

    ReplyDelete